To understand how to present evidence of our client’s injuries, we must first understand what the injuries have done to our client. That requires an advance understanding of the nature of injuries and time spent with the client plus those who know or treat the client. Here is a brief outline of the basic impact of injury and sufferings on human beings as a guide.
A. INJURY CAUSES MENTAL AND PHYSICAL SUFFERING TO PEOPLE
b) Torture of mind & body
e) Fear & shame
2. Loss of independence
3. Loss of control over their lives
4. Loss of hope for a normal & happy lives
B. INJURY EFFECTS THEIR VIEW OF THE PAST
1. We are a product of our life experiences
2. Injury & suffering result in an unhappy past
C. INJURY EFFECTS THEIR LIFE ROLE
1. All people have a role: They are a wife, mother, and husband, employee which help define who we are & give us purpose. Injury forever alters our roles and impact who we are.
D. INJURY EFFECTS RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHERS
1. People exist in relationship to each other. Our relationships give our life meaning. Injury changes and impairs our relationships with others which impact who and why we are.
E. INJURY EFFECTS RELATIONSHIP WITH OWN BODY
F. INJURY EFFECTS OUR CREATIVE ABILITY
1. People do creative things. They have hobbies, they pain, and they read, garden and enjoy creative activities. Injury impairs or destroys our creative activities.
G. INJURY TAKES AWAY OUR DREAMS AND GOALS
1. Everyone has secret dreams and goals – a secret life with dreams, fantasies, hopes and goals. Injury robs us of our future dreams, hopes & goals
Using this kind of an outline, take the time for an indepth review of the details of injury plus the impact on the client.